Yoga instructors need to work closely with diabetic students in order to maximize the health advantages from yoga. Recent findings reveal the many positive effects that yoga has on diabetes.

yoga and diabetes

Yoga cannot “cure” diabetes, but there are several ways yoga can be beneficial in controlling diabetes. If medically prescribed regimens are followed by diabetic students, they can safely add yoga to their treatment. Due to the potential impact on their glucose levels, and overall body function, great strides can be made through regular committed yoga practice. Continue Reading »


People with a family member who had pancreatic cancer before age 50 face a greatly increased risk for the disease, a new study has found.

Researchers already knew that people with several relatives diagnosed with pancreatic cancer were more likely than others to develop the disease, but it wasn’t clear whether the relatives’ age when they got the disease played any role.

They found, though, that risk increased ninefold when just one of several family members with the disease developed it before turning 50.

The finding, published online Jan. 12 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, stemmed from a review of the medical records of more than 9,000 people in 1,718 families. Continue Reading »

Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy significantly improves survival of patients with resectable pancreatic cancer, according to medical records of almost 3,000 patients.

Chemoradiotherapy extended median survival by more than 30% compared with surgical resection only, researchers reported in the January Archives of Surgery.

In a multivariate analysis, adjuvant chemoradiotherapy proved to be one of only three predictors of improved survival, the other two being treatment at high-volume and academic centers.

“This analysis provides strong evidence in a real-world setting that postoperative chemoradiotherapy and possibly adjuvant radiotherapy alone improve clinical outcome in patients with pancreatic cancer,” Relin Yang, MD, of the University of Miami, and colleagues wrote. Continue Reading »

Pancreas at a glance

The pancreas is an oblong flattened gland, approximately six inches long and located deep in the abdomen. It lies sandwiched between the spine and stomach. The head of the pancreas is on the right side of the abdomen and is connected to the duodenum. The narrow end of the pancreas, called the tail, extends to the left side of the body. The deep of location that makes the diagnosis of the pancreas disease become difficult.

Pancreas location image

Pancreas location

The pancreas is a part of digestive system, it function is essential in two ways: producing digestive juice and blood sugar regulated hormones such as insulin and glucagon.

With appropriate cells staining, it can distinguish that pancreas containing two main different type of tissue, first clusters of cells called as islets of langerhans, which produce hormones that underline the endocrine functions of the pancreas, and the second clusters are acinar cells, it belong to the exocrine function that produce digestive enzymes into the gut via system of duct. Continue Reading »

Pancreatic cancer occurs when an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cell in the pancreas organ. The abnormal cells form a mass called tumor. In advance level, pancreatic tumor has ability to spread to other parts or organs of the body and it is also known as malignant.

Pancreas cancer

Pancreas map

There is two main type of pancreatic cancer. About 95% pancreatic cancer occurs in exocrine gland, a part of pancreas that secrets digestive juice and the rest of 5% occurs in the hormone-producing region, called endocrine gland.

Exocrine pancreatic cancer can occurs in the head, body or tail of the pancreas. If it takes place at head part, it can block on the bile duct and can block pancreatic juice to colon, causing jaundice and related symptoms, meanwhile endocrine pancreatic cancer begin in the hormone-producing part called the endocrine pancreas which are contain islet cells that produce insulin as well as other hormones. Cancer that occurs in endocrine pancreas could bug the hormone production. Continue Reading »